Day 20 - Tuesday 24 January 2024

Today is the day I became independently mobile as I collected my car and started to tour New Zealand.

Awake at around 06:00 and the packing completed. With the room checked multiple times, I went down to check out a little earlier than planned at 07:45. Water bottle filled, and away from the hotel to walk the two blocks to Sky City and the SkyDrive bus. I arrived at the bus stop at just after 08:00 and they were loading so I paid my fare and loaded up ..... the bus departed at 08:05, so I was on the one earlier than planned.

The 40 minute run to the airport went without incident, and I was dropped at the International Terminal. I made my way to Arrivals and the Ezi car hire desk ....... I had a short wait as the cars for collection at 09:00 weren't there just yet. A 15 minute wait, and then I was able to complete the paperwork, pay my deposit and set off in search of my car for the next couple of months.

A 5 minute walk to the hire car parking area, and there was my car in space 185 ....... after all of the different information, I actually have a Toyota Rav 4 as originally specified. All loaded up, and a quick experiment of how to drive an automatic in the car park (a new experience for me), music plugged in, and I exited the car park and took to the roads. I'm using Google Maps as my Satnav, so I'd programmed in my destination for this evening; the Bounty Hotel at Paihia in the Bay of Islands.

Away from the airport, and straight onto the motorways through Auckland; Satnav didn't take me the way I had expected over the harbour bridge, but instead via the State Highway (SH) 16 to the west, missing the worst of the congestion in the city.  I was directed off of the SH16 onto a country road, only to rejoin the SH16 a bit later.

The views as I drove along were stunning; they reminded me of the peak district. A stop off at a scenic lookout, then onwards to join SH1 at Wellsford. A stop off at a bakery for my first New Zealand pie at 11.50; I know that New Zealand is known for it's pies (the vlogs I've been watching have been full of them!) but the Steak and Cheese pie I had today was to die for; we just don't see things like this in the UK!

Onwards once more, and one of the stops that I've had planned for ages at the Brynderwyns Scenic Lookout. 

From there I saw a sign for Piroa Falls 6km away, so thought it would be rude not to go and have a look. This turned out to be the first gravel road of the trip. I took it slowly as the gravel was slippery and corrugations could loosen a filling. Finally I arrived at the car park, and hiked down to a waterfall that was full of people swimming. I took some footage, and made my way back to the car and SH1.

I've been planning to buy a cheap holdall so that I can rationalise my luggage a bit now that I have a car, and as I drove into Whangerei I saw a Bunnings sign, so pulled in to have a look. Bunnings is the NZ and Australia equivalent of Homebase and B&Q, so a cheap bag was acquired. Back onto the road again, and a sign to Whangerei Falls, so I followed and pulled up into the car park.

The first viewpoint was from the top right of the cascade, so after capturing footage there I crossed the river upstream and visited the viewpoint on the other side. I then took the path down to the base of the waterfall; this was well worth the effort, and had a pool at the base that was too dangerous for swimming, so no bathers here.


Back onto the SH1, and at around 16:00 I reached my target for the day, Paihia. Checked into the motel for the next three nights, I had a bit of an explore and visited the tour office to check locations for my tours for the next two days. Then as I made my way back, I passed Jimmy Jacks Rib Shack ...... I couldn't resist the draw of ribs, so in I went for a Crispy Chicken and Rib combo with a couple of very nice cloudy IPA's.

Following this, I paid a visit to the supermarket and managed to get some Yorkshire teabags to keep me going for a while, and also some Caramel Tim Tams; you have to try these things while you have the opportunity! I also visited a 'liqour store' as they are called here for a bottle of wine; tomorrow is Thursday after all, and I don't have to drive for a few days!

It's been an interesting day driving an automatic for the first time. There have been a few occasions where I've 'gone manual'; one where a vehicle stopped ahead of me, so my left foot went into action and instead of the non existent clutch stomped on the brake. The other has been roundabouts where on approaching my left hand has gone searching for the gear stick. Still, it's gone quite well. The Rav 4 seems like a bit of a tank after my car, but I guess I'll get used to that as well.

Tomorrow I'm on the water, on a cruise to explore the Bay of Islands.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 7 - Thursday 11 January 2024

Day 5 - Tuesday 9th January 2024

Day 9 - Saturday 13 January 224