Day 110 - Tuesday 23 April 2024

Awake early as usual, showered and into breakfast before 07:00; once again I just beat the rush!

All packed up and away from the site at 08:30, and on the road aiming for Edith Falls 45 minutes down the road. As I drove up to the falls there were plenty of signs warning of crocodiles and saying that the lower pools were closed for bathing because of this.

I parked up, donned my hiking shoes and a technical wicking shirt and made my way towards the lower falls viewpoint. All of the entrances to the water were roped off with crocodile warnings, but I was able to get a distant shot of the lower falls from where I could reach. I then found the pathway to the Leliyn Loop which would take me to the upper falls and pool where folks could swim as there was no way a croc could get up there.



The path crossed a bridge, and then started climbing, once again with the inevitable steps. It was a warm day, so I had regular stops as I set out on the 2.6 kilometre loop for water. The first stop was at the Bemang Lookout which provided a nice view of the upper falls.


The falls had an impressive amount of water coming over them, so I continued down the path until I came to a footbridge crossing the outflow stream from the pool below the falls. I could see some people swimming and more watching from the rocks, so I continued to get a better viewpoint.

As I arrived at the best viewpoint a large group of schoolkids had arrived to swim, so I captured my videos and photos quickly before they all hit the water, and continued along the path back towards the car park. By now the heat was oppressive and draining, and I didn't feel like I had a load of energy left, so I slowly made my way down to the car park. 


One more stop on the way back to the car at Leliyn Lookout where there was a great view of the falls back through the trees.

I stopped to allow a snake to cross my path about 2 metres in front of me; I saw it as it came onto the path and slithered away quickly to my left .... I don't know what type of snake it was, but I wasn't going to take any chances by getting too close!

When I returned to the car I changed shirt and footwear, and escaped to the air conditioned comfort of the car; it was telling me that the temperature outside was 29 degrees which is, in my humble opinion, too bloody hot! It was just after 11:00, so I thought that the best course of action was to stay out of the heat, and find my accommodation two and a half hours distant near Litchfield National Park.

Back onto the road, and immediately I was behind a road train. After a few kilometres we came to an overtaking lane, so I was able to nip past. At one stage a wide load was coming the other way, so I had to pull off the road to allow them to pass as they were taking up both lanes completely; they appeared to be the big containers for the back of the massive mining dump trucks, and there were four of them going down the main road.

Midday arrived and passed, and the temperature outside kept rising; 35 degrees was the peak, and it was about that temperature still when I arrived at my accommodation at Litchfield Outback Resort; getting out of the car felt like climbing into an oven. I was a little early to check in and my room wasn't yet ready, but I completed the paperwork, figured out a plan for the next couple of days and had a Guinness while I waited for the room to become available.

Then parked up and unloaded to an upstairs room (no lift), which is were you find me sheltering from the heat outside. 

There is nothing else of note to report today; getting out of that heat is enough for me. I'm not acclimatised to this level of heat and humidity, and I currently find it very draining. I'll set out early tomorrow to do what I can before it gets too hot, and I think a few of the swimming holes in the park may come in handy ..... although I'll be sure to check for croc notices before taking a plunge!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 7 - Thursday 11 January 2024

Day 5 - Tuesday 9th January 2024

Day 9 - Saturday 13 January 224