Day 133 - Thursday 16th May 2024

Note to self; never assume .... it's a lesson I learned a long time ago, but still occasionally need a bit of a reminder. This morning, when I was looking for washing up liquid so that I could wash up my teacup and leave my room in a good state, I discovered a washing machine in what I'd assumed was a storage cupboard in the bathroom. It's been a little while since I did laundry, so had I spotted this yesterday I'd have done a load. Opportunity missed! 

After packing, loading and tidying up after myself I checked out and left at 08:00. A stop off for the usual fuel combination (unleaded and coffee) and then away from Geraldton. My first suggested lookout was over two hours away, so back onto State Highway 1, then onto the Indian Ocean Drive to find Green Head. Off of the main road and onto a compacted sandy road, and I arrived at the lookout.

I cannot say that I was very impressed in the moment by the views up and down the coast; perhaps some of the fantastic stuff I've seen means I'm expecting too much? This was a dune coastline rather than a cliff coastline, so it was always going to suffer by comparison. Still, looking back at the pictures now I'm happy that I visited.



Back to the road, and the next stop was Grigsons Lookout; a hilltop lookout providing views over a woodland to the sea in the west, and a valley inland away to the east.


Back to the road, and the next stop was Sandy Cape Lookout; from a campsite I climbed the sand dunes to be presented with another coastal view. As before, the dune seascape doesn't have the same impact as the cliffs with breaking surf, but it is in it's own way beautiful .... even if I don't appreciate it in the moment! It's why photographs and hindsight are such good tools.



Another lookout followed as I worked my way southwards; this time Molah Hill Lookout. Another hilltop viewpoint with views over the foliage back to the sea, and inland. 


Everything I'd done so far today was a preamble to the main event; a site I've been looking forward to ever since I started planning this trip. Into Nambung National Park and the Pinnacles Desert. For the first time, I had my WA parks pass checked as I entered the park, then went on a 4 kilometre loop on a sandy road through the pinnacles.

So, what exactly are the Pinnacles. What popped into my mind as I was driving round (stopping regularly) was 'Stonehenge on steroids', but I don't think that does it justice. The Pinnacles are amazing natural limestone structures that were formed 23 to 30 thousand years ago. They stand like a field of gravestones in the sandy soil, and to me were mesmerising.

It's one of those occasions where I don't have the vocabulary to explain what I was seeing, so I'll just let the pictures do the talking:












Away from The pinnacles and back onto the Indian Ocean Drive. Beside the road was the next viewpoint at Wedge Lookout for more views back to the ocean from a highpoint.



Next into the SatNav was Lancelin Sand Dunes .... off of the main road, and a 10 kilometre detour to a site where the car park was jammed. I still had an hour and a half to go today, and it was just after 15:00, so I made the decision to not join the throng and to head for Perth.

An hour later and I rediscovered traffic, which was a bit of a culture shock after weeks where I seemed to be the only one on the roads for much of the time. It takes a bit of getting used to having vehicles all around, and actually using my right foot rather than sticking it into cruise control for hours at a time.

Only the one wrong turn as I found my way into central Perth, I checked into the hotel at 16:30. I then headed to the attached Irish bar for a Guinness or two, and a really nice Beef and Guinness Pie before returning to the room to review the day.

The highlight has undoubtedly been The Pinnacles and the loop drive; I lost count of the number of times I stopped to take those must have pictures and videos. The downside was that each stop invited flies into the car, and I suspect a few will greet me when I set off again tomorrow morning. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 7 - Thursday 11 January 2024

Day 5 - Tuesday 9th January 2024

Day 9 - Saturday 13 January 224