Day 121 - Saturday 4th May 2024 (Star Wars day!)

04:30 does indeed seem to be my time for awaking at the moment!

Up, and I was able to add the photos to yesterdays blog while the wifi was fast enough (but still very slow compared to other places I've been). I also took the opportunity to finish the weekly video, but had no intention of trying to load it to Youtube this morning as I had things to do today.

The target for the next two days is to get to Broome on the west coast, but it's too far for one drive so I have an overnight in Halls Creek. I've had some warnings about Halls Creek; I was told yesterday to not go out after dark, so that sounds ominous. It's only ever been a staging point on the long drive, so it's not like it was a destination in itself. The plan for today was to explore a bit around Kununurra before leaving the area about midday for the three and a half hour, 357km drive to Halls Creek.

Checked out and away from the site at 09:00, my plan was to go and visit a nearby small national park just a couple of kilometres out of Kununurra; Mirima National Park.

I arrived just a few minutes after leaving, and there were a couple of walks; one circular walk that would take 30 minutes, and a climb up to an outlook that was 45 minutes return. The climb up to the lookout started from half way round the loop, so I started at ground level exploring the canyon that has been referred to as the Mini Bungle Bungles.


Onto the climb up to the lookout; the path was a little primitive in places with a climb up a sloped but smooth surface before I reached the expected steps. Then upwards to the lookout. From one side I had a nice view of the valley from which I'd just ascended, but in the other direction the town of Kununurra somewhat spoiled the view over the River Ord valley.


Back down to the car, and after a stop off at the supermarket and camp site cafe for a coffee I hit the road for the three and a half hour journey to Halls Creek.

It was another of those drives through fantastic scenery with nowhere to stop to take photos. I did stop at a couple of rest areas to break the journey, and arrived in Halls Creek just after 14:00. I drove past the motel I'm staying at to fill up with fuel so I didn't have that job tomorrow, and checked in at around 14:30. I have a tiny room, but it's only for the one night.

What I do have here is decent internet, so I've been able to load this weeks video in just 8 minutes (last week it took over 8 hours!), so the video for Week 17 is now available here.

It's also been lovely to be able to load photos as I'm typing the blog; it feels like a real luxury after the last three locations with poor connectivity!

Tomorrow I have a big day of driving; 686 kilometres or 426 miles. The plan is for an early getaway at 07:00 with a couple of stops along the way, one of which will require a top up of fuel. I'm hoping that I don't come across too many more roads like I had for a bit of today; like a B road back home, but thankfully pretty empty ..... but that does become a little hairy when a road train is coming the other way and it's very narrow.  

Oh, and in case you don't know Star Wars day ..... May the Fourth (be with you).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 7 - Thursday 11 January 2024

Day 5 - Tuesday 9th January 2024

Day 9 - Saturday 13 January 224