Day 112 - Thursday 25th April 2024

This morning I was in no hurry; I had only just over an hour to drive to my next hotel in Darwin, so had a leisurely start to the day. Everything was packed and loaded into the car by 08:00, then I had  breakfast before returning to the room, having a couple of games of Sudoku and checking out at 10:00.

The hotel had a filling station attached, and fuel was less then $2 per litre, so I topped up before leaving. There wasn't anything that I'd found as a stop on the way today, so I pulled over about a half hour from Darwin to contact the hotel to find out when I could check in. My room was ready, so I could check in whenever I wanted. I therefore rejoined the Stuart Highway for the last few kilometres before leaving it to make my way to the hotel in Darwin's waterfront. I was all checked in at 11:30.

When I checked in I was given a city map, and I noticed that the information office wasn't far away, so I wandered out to see what I could organise. For tomorrow I've booked myself onto the 'Hop on hop off' bus that does a circuit of the city, so that'll give me a great chance to have an explore. I also have some ideas for my next day of travel.

My timing on arriving in Darwin is excellent. During their dry season they have a twice weekly market at Mindil Beach; a west facing beach which is famous for it's sunsets. Today is the first event of this year, so I decided it'd be good to go and have a look at that. At the information office I'd been given the bus timetable for this evening, so I made my way to the central bus depot and caught the 17:02 bus out to Mendil Beach .... they have a service purely for the market.

The market itself didn't impress me very much (hey, that'd be a great idea for a song!); it seemed to be mainly food stalls with the occasional stall selling what I may refer to as 'tat'. I had a bit of an explore, but the heat an humidity meant that I soon escaped to the beach where the sun was still beating down, but there was a bit of an intermittent breeze to take the edge off.

I found a spot where I could sit at 17:50, and took up position (with a burger for company as it had been a long time since breakfast) for the 18:36 sunset. 


The west coast of Australia is renowned for it's sunsets, and as the sun dipped below the horizon (OK, as the horizon rotated to obscure the sun!) I was left a little disappointed. 

But I need not have worried. As I sat watching a shark patrol the waves mere metres from the shore, the sky changed colour for the next three quarters of an hour I could see what all of the fuss was about. By the time I left the beach to make my way back through the stifling heat of the market to find the bus back into town, the sky was a deep orange that the cameras were struggling to capture as it was getting a little dark. The camera on the phone seems to have stood up the best.




Onto the 19:29 bus back into town, and the 10 minute walk back to the waterfront and my hotel. I've learned one valuable lesson this evening; cotton shirts are not the attire for the heat and humidity of Darwin. Coming back into the hotel with the air conditioning was a wonderful feeling. You get used to the heat until you go somewhere cooler, and then you wonder how you didn't notice it just seconds before!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 7 - Thursday 11 January 2024

Day 5 - Tuesday 9th January 2024

Day 9 - Saturday 13 January 224