Day 27 - Wednesday 31 January 2024

Thirty days hath September ....... yes; 31st January is correct! Need to check these things are correct for a couple of reasons. Firstly I've totally lost track of what day and date it is, so this doesn't hurt. Secondly, I have nephews who notice stuff!

I awoke this morning to cramp in my other calf from yesterdays; well, it obviously didn't want to feel left out.

Today was planned to be fairly quiet, getting from the end of the Coromandel Peninsula leg of the trip to Tauranga where I'll be staying put for a while ...... I know that for me a 'while' can be anything from a few minutes to a lot of years, so in this case I'll be specific and say that the 'while' I'll be staying in Tauranga for is 9 nights.  

I left my cabin and checked out at around quarter to ten this morning, and decided that before exploring the town of Pauanui I'd explore the local bakery. The plan had been to only get a coffee, but then I saw Apple Turnovers. It got worse; I then spotted Fresh Cream Apple Turnovers and I found that I'd 'accidentally' (yeah, right!) ordered one of these. This was delivered to me, and I did wonder whether there was a gold bar in the bag as it was so weighty. I ate the turnover and drank the coffee while in conversation with a couple of kiwi's, who asked the question 'What do you call a woman who sets fire to her bank statements?' .... apparently they do one of these each day ..... another example being 'what do you call a man with no shin ...Tony'. I figured the answer, but will give you time to consider it and will provide it at the end of todays thoughts.

After my 'breakfast', I decided to explore the coast here in Pauanui, so first went to the middle of the beach. I then moved on the the northern end of the beach just a couple of hundred meters from the hill I climbed yesterday, and then to the southern end of the beach to capture some footage.



Next job was to get some fuel; the price in the town centre was daylight robbery, so I drove the 10km back to SH25, and there was a filling station there that was a whole 20 cents per litre cheaper. All filled up, I looked at Google Maps and decided to go to a scenic outlook that provided a view of Whangamata; a place called Peninsula Road Scenic Outlook. I was taken off SH25, and about 2km later onto a rough gravel track; it was rougher than Bridle Lane back home at the start (if you know, you know!) .... let's just say that at the start the pot holes were joined together by other pot holes!

7km of what I can only describe as a rough gravel track followed until I arrived at a clearing which gave great views of the coast if I stood on a picnic table! I was a little concerned whether my 2wd vehicle would make it back to the sealed roads as I'd driven down some sketchy hills to reach the outlook. 

As I pulled out of the viewpoint another vehicle pulled in, so I was happy that I wasn't out there alone and if I did get stuck I'd have some help getting out, but as it turned out I took my time and successfully navigated my way past the gravel and potholes and back onto a sealed surface. I'm not all together sure I should be driving these roads in this car, but no damage done (this time). I just wish Google Maps would give you a warning then you type in the destination!

I then went down to Whangamata seafront to get a view back to where I'd been; the surf was coming into this beach which was quite beautiful and pretty deserted in the 28 degree heat. Back onto SH25, and I had a thought. I wonder whether this road was given the number 25 due to the number of 25kph corners that it has! It truly is a winding beastie.

Away from Whangamata, and a scenic overview at Whotueka before heading to Waiha and a chance to escape the heat of the sun. Waiha is a gold mining community (well, they mine more silver than gold, but gold wins in a game of Top Trumps) where I thought I'd go and explore the Waiha Gold Discovery Centre; a very interesting hour and a half learning about the history of the site, how the Cornish miners bought knowledge and technology, how the strikes had set community against community, and how the precious metals are separated from the rocks. It was a fantastic way to spend some time (in the comfort of AC of course!)

I left there at 15:15, and it was just over an hour to my accommodation at Trinity Wharf, Tauranga which is where you find me now; it was a bit of a culture shock to be back in urban rush hour traffic after days almost alone on the road. 

Everything unpacked for the first time in a while as I'm here for over a week, the hotel is very nice, and brilliantly located on the old wharf. I ate in the hotel restaurant this evening, but it's a little pricey so I'll probably be finding alternative options while I'm here; the fish market is only a couple of hundred meters away, so that may be an option.

That's the story of today; tomorrow I have nothing planned, but suspect I'll go have a look at Mount Maunganui and summit the hill there to get a view. Whatever transpires, I have no plans to drive anywhere tomorrow but to let a bus do the work instead. 

Answer to the poser: Bernadette.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 7 - Thursday 11 January 2024

Day 5 - Tuesday 9th January 2024

Day 9 - Saturday 13 January 224